Sunday, November 9, 2008

Not so Great Animal Stories...

I have been wanting to post about one animal issue for a few weeks now...one night in my class my instructor told us about a story involving her son's dog. Apparently over the weekend her son's dog, a beautiful full-bred Rotty, had gotten out of the yard and the neighbor called Animal Control. Normally I would consider this the "responsible" thing to do, but only if the animal seemed to be bothersome or terrorizing people. By the time Animal Control showed up the dog was in his own backyard and things seemed fine, but AC said they still had to take the dog. They mentioned something about keeping the dog and the owner picking him up with a specified number of days. Well...on Tuesday he went to pick up the dog and was told he had been put down because he was growling and uneasy when they tried to get him out of the truck at the precinct. Hmmm...here's a thought - a dog is surrounded by strangers - of course he is uneasy! I can't believe they put him down. I, personally, have my suspicions about what happened to the dog. And I can't help but wonder if someone took the dog because he was pure-bred.

Now...with regard to calling AC I had my own run in with them a couple of times during the past couple of months. First, I was driving to work one rainy morning when I saw a mother dog from up the street and her 5 puppies walking in the road and following a stranger on her way to the bus stop. The puppies wouldn't stop following her...so I tried to catch them all and take them back to where they belong. I took them to the wrong house, but the owner knew where they belonged so we went across the street. No one was answering the door and I had to get to work so I left them with the neighbor and called AC. I called them because I was worried about the puppies and the fact no one was answering the door. It's too dangerous for puppies to be loose in the road. I am not sure about what happened after my call. But then, a few weeks later I saw the mother and one puppy sleeping in the yard of a neighbors house which means the dogs were loose again. And then my mother saw them loose one morning and sent them away. Why don't people keep watch over their pets?

The next day after my mother sent them away she heard a racket down near the pond where our ducks live...she didn't think much of it at the time. The next day I went to feed them and found them to have missing feathers and one was limping and wouldn't quack. I was so upset. I instantly had to call Animal Control. The next day they stopped by the house to ask what happened. I explained it to the guy but was told that because they are ducks they don't fall under the same circumstances as if they were someone's cat or dog. WHAT?? I love these ducks! Are you kidding?

Anyway, the good news is their feathers are coming back and they are both happily quacking again and the limp is getting better. If this had happened on Animal Planet someone would have gotten a ticket! And, someone would have taken care of my ducks.

No comments: