Friday, December 12, 2008

Why I went to bed MAD!

Wednesday night (that would be 12/10/08) I decided to head to bed at a reasonable hour for me (11 pm) and picked up my favorite magazine to do a little pre-sleep reading. My favorite magazine is Reader's Digest (and yes, I am 38 not 88).

If I read this particular magazine prior to sleep I usually skip around and read all the jokes so that I go to bed on a high - having laughed myself silly. But this particular night I got caught up in an article by Michael Crowley who often writes about things that would easily piss a person off - not because he offends me - because he brings to light bullshit happening in our country! And so was the case on Wednesday night.

I decided to read his article about a government program called the National Flood Insurance Program. This program is in debt to the tune of $17 BILLION dollars. Normal people like me can't even truly imagine what that looks like (a lot of zeros - that's for sure). This program offers low cost insurance for people living in flood zones. WHY would that be an option? Well, because some brilliant people in DC voted this crap into effect. And do you know WHO is paying for this $17 billion dollars? Yep - you guessed it - that would be those of us that are tax payers! WTF??

I think that this program needs to seriously be looked at and reformed. People should not be allowed to continuously build on the same piece of land that will eventually get flooded again - and have someone else pay for it. One of the examples in the article is: One house in Houston has flooded 16 times; repairs have totaled $807,000, seven times the market value of the property. You cannot be serious! How on earth can we allow them to use our tax dollars to rebuild a home 16 times and it's worth is significantly lower?!

Below is a link to the article from Reader's Digest. The more I read this stuff and see what is going on in our world the more I think I need to run for public office. We need to start a grassroots effort to turn this country around! I've had enough!!

http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/outrageous-tax-dollars-bailing-out-homes-built-on-flood-zones/article103797.html

As most of you know I am not a fan of our newly elected official, but I will do my best to support him as our leader. I must say, however, that he ran on the platform of "Yes we Can" and "Change" so on that note let's pull the plug on all the ludicrous stuff being put into effect by our government. Each and every one of us counts and can make a difference...if you don't like what is going on with programs such as this one - stand up for your rights and do something about how your tax dollars are spent!

No comments: